Our main program supports Tibetan communities in China. Our vision for every Tibetan living in China, down to the most remote nomad, is inclusion in a thriving community grounded in respect for Tibetan culture and values. We realize this vision by promoting sustainable economic development, excellent opportunities for education, cultural heritage preservation and environmental conservation on the Tibetan Plateau. While granting priority to the most disadvantaged and vulnerable communities – particularly Tibetan nomadic and semi-nomadic populations – The Bridge Fund emphasizes self-reliance and promotes the development of regionally based, locally-run institutions, organizations and businesses.
TBF’s overarching programs provide Tibetans with opportunities to strengthen and grow their businesses, develop and improve job skills (healthcare, education, veterinary, service industry), access education from grade 9 to university, preserve their culture, and protect the environment. A core focus of our work is supporting local organizations and institutions to carry out development programs on behalf of their communities.
TBF has a solid track record of implementing high impact programs in all areas of the Tibetan Plateau region, and is now focusing on scaling up and replicating successful programs, creating new models with input from key stakeholders and strengthening the capacity of staff and partners to improve quality and sustainability.
The following are TBF’s over-arching strategies. We strive to continually incorporate these core guiding principles within each project that we implement –
- Working in partnership with local communities, organizations and institutions to ensure sustainable, lasting change.
- Ensuring that our programs equally benefit women and men and that children and elderly are given special consideration and voice.
- Replicating and growing programs that work in the local context.
- Respecting the local conditions.
- Incorporating environmental conservation and cultural heritage preservation into all of our programs.
- Promoting partnerships and alliances with NGOs, foundations, and corporations to maximize and leverage resources to have a greater impact.